A dance performance filmed in TTC Subway cars or buses in which the dancers represent commuters personalities action and thought. This could be linear and narrative based…so she might not be super interested.
100 years ago I saw a dance piece on television that featured men in a pub drinking, fighting and getting drunk. I’ve never forgotten it and think of it in relationship to this piece. After some searching I found tan excerpt from that piece called Enter Achilles by DV8.
Poles, seats doorways sound, laptops, coffee, newspapers, sleeping, chatting, makeup, pan handling, entry, exit, dynamic. it could also be broken into acts that are based on different parts of a commuting day; rush hour to work, rush hour home from work, journey to the club, journey home from the club….repeat.
Although conceived as a filmed piece from different angles within the train, this could become a performance piece for Nuit Blanche where the train is parked in lower Bay and the dancers perform in and on the platform amongst the audience. The doors could actually close and the performers could act as if the train was moving. It could also be done in such a way that the audience participates and becomes part of the event.
I could also devise a way for the wall side windows to act as screens on which video is shown to emulate motion and give the illusion that the train is moving when the doors are closed. I could arrange with Nuit and the. It’s to take 6 video cameras on board a train that traveled after hours and film the windows as the train moves from empty station to empty station.
Work with a contemporary composer to write the music that informs the dancers.
To me this seems more like traditional dance than avant guard. Based on Ballet and Tango?
- dancers at one pint might all sit and rise in unison representing the ritualistic commonality of the commute
- music could be based upon the tone that signals the doors closing and could be per-recorded to play over te subway car speakers.
- moves that simulate the stop, start, and drastic jolts of a typical subway ride.
- romance could be an internal theme. Either young lovers or actual flirtation.
- the vagrant drunk, the mental patient, the surely traveler, the children, the iPod listener, the computer user, the kindle reader… etc.
- flickering lights
- delayed train
- rush for seats